06 May 2013

Tribute to Stormalong

Repost: LIFE NEEDS ART, Greg Newbold, http://gregnewbold.blogspot.com/2013/05/tribute-to-stormalong.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LifeNeedsArt+%28LIFE+NEEDS+ART%29





I was updating some portfolios last weekend and found a series of paintings I did a couple of years back for the American Fable Stormalong. The story of Alfred Bulltop Stormalong who begins life as a larger than life abandoned baby who is raised by an entire harbor town. He was hauled back to town in a wheelbarrow and continued to grow until he was as large as a whale. Stormy then goes on to have all sorts of adventures as a sailor on the high seas. In the end, a statue is erected in the town square

as a tribute to his legacy. I have enjoyed American Tall Tales since I first heard the Paul Bunyan legend, but I was not as familiar with this one. I did a total of nine images for this story that was included in a reading anthology textbook for elementary aged students. I'll post some of the others I have not posted before later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment